Thursday, July 19, 2012

I want to be skinny with a fat, fat wallet

I'd like to talk to you about something that is happening to me as a result of this weight-loss journey. And it has nothing to do with weight loss. I'd like to talk to you about self-control.

You see, aside from trying to lose extra pounds, I'm also trying to slim down on credit card debt. It's been about 6 months since I've had any regular income. That means I've had to put more expenses on credit, and have only been making minimum monthly payments. Plus, this thing called Life just kept happening regardless to whether or not I had money. Had to buy a mattress when I moved to Cleveland. Paid partially for a rental I had for 2 weeks because my car was smashed into whilst parked in my driveway, minding its own business. Got 2 flat tires in less than a week. You know...life.

Now that I've started working again, I have an opportunity to do one of two things. One is the thing I want to do, and one is the thing I need to do.

I want to get a mani/pedi, shop, go to Cedar Point, buy new shiny things, and so on.
I need to pay off my debt.

Standing in the close-out aisle at Marc's, looking at this beautiful (and shiny) piece of artwork for just $7 that would look lovely on my bedroom wall, I was faced with a choice. To buy (because I really really love it and who knows how long this will be available and it's such a good deal), or not to buy (because I really really don't need it and it may only be $7 but that is $7 that should go toward paying off debt). And wouldn't you know...I didn't buy it! Just before that, I was standing in the tanning salon (spare me, I know it's awful for me) listening to the very convincing reasons why I should pay $16 for the extra-special Sun Angel tanning bed instead of the free-with-my-membership basic bed. Luckily, it was the female employee trying to sell to me so it wasn't too difficult to say no. Had it been the drop-dead-gorgeous, blonde haired, blue-eyed male employee -- who knows what I would have bought. I'm such a sucker for that type.

My point is that I was able to summon some power from within to control my spending even though I had the cash on hand. That's the thing with waitressing -- you always have cash and (for me at least) cash is so much quicker to fly out of my wallet than money on a debit card. So it takes extra extra willpower to hold back, especially in that closeout section at Marc's, where a cart of $2 purchases turns into a $40 shopping trip in seemingly no time at all.

Tying back to the weight loss deal... Just as it takes dedication and a powerful decision to eat healthy and smart, the same applies to any challenge in life. One decision at a time, one day at a time, you will see results. Slowly the pounds begin to shed, and slowly the debt begins to shrink. I haven't always considered myself the most patient individual, but I am trying.

I know this post was kind of unrelated to the theme of the blog but thanks for reading it anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment