Sunday, July 22, 2012

Falling and rising

I'm feeling a little down on myself today. Thought maybe I'd bring you guys into my little world even though the sun isn't shining so bright.

In general I've been doing pretty good with my eating habits. It's just hard to feel like I'm eating healthy on days that I work. Even if the food I eat is healthy, I'm not able to eat after 3 or 4pm; then I end up hungry at work. But by the time I'm out, I don't eat because it's so late at night. In the mornings, I've been eating either oatmeal (steel-cut, not rolled), or -- on very lazy mornings -- graham crackers. They are sooo good! And much like salami and mayonnaise sandwiches, if Alex is eating them, it's hard not to snatch a bite or 2.

Today was another zoo day. And much like the last one, I did not eat a proper breakfast or bring along the appropriate snackage. Whoa, snackage should most definitely be a real word. Let's make that happen. Anyway, I ended up eating almost all of Alex's animal crackers while walking around the zoo. I felt especially awful about that when he looked at me and said, "More crackers, please?" Sorry buddy. Aside from the calories, I have been trying to limit my carb intake after looking at this infographic about how bad they are for weight loss (thanks for pinning that Erica). And I didn't stop at the animal crackers. I also bought Alex one of those snackages of Teddy Grahams aaaaaand proceeded to eat about 90% of it. Then after the zoo, Alex's dad stopped for a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. I wasn't that tempted by the sandwich because last time I had cheese it made me feel pretty gross. But I was pretty hungry. I took one bite and that was enough. Well, I stopped after one bite. I won't say it was enough because my goodness was that delicious. I also may have had 6 or 7 french fries. Then I had to summon some self-control, walk away, and leave the vicinity.

And that's when I discovered five below.

Have you ever been to one of those stores? They're kind of fascinating in a I-don't-want-to-buy-anything-here-but-I-can't-stop-looking-at-every-item-in-stock kind of way. I did end up buying a jump rope in hopes that I will use it for cardio, as well as a book with 100 healthy recipes -- each recipe is centered around a different "superfood." And I bought a loofa.

Looking back on my day now, I guess I wasn't that bad. My major sins were a) animal crackers and Teddy Grahams b) fries/bite of sandwich c) spending some money I didn't need to spend.

On the bright side, I did restrain myself a bit at five below by not buying nail polish and also by not looking around the entire store. I only spent $9 + tax and it was on health products. I also spent about $50 at the zoo because I finally bought a year-long membership to the Zoological Society. That was a lot of money for someone trying to save every penny, but in the end a wise decision seeing as I have already paid my way into the zoo enough times this summer to have paid for a membership.

Alright so I wasn't that bad today. Just need to get back into the habit of healthy snackaging and preparation. Thanks, diary. I feel much better now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment